1. Diving is open to all waters between the Destin
Pass and the west end of Horn Island.
2. Competition begins at 12:00 a.m. April 26, 2019 and ends when the scales close on May 5, 2019.
3. Bad Weather Rule: Twelve (12) consecutive hours without a SMALL CRAFT WARNING constitute a valid tournament. If bad weather prevails, the
tournament reschedules at 2 week intervals until it can be held.
4. All SCUBA diving contestants must be SCUBA certified and possess a Certification Card. Freedivers MUST check the spot indicating FREEDIVER.
5. All fish must be speared by the diver while submerged and must be brought to the beach or boat by the diver
who speared it. Fish must be speared by speargun or polespear. Eligible fish are: cobia, flounder, lionfish, sheepshead, snapper and triggerfish.
6. Only rubber powered spear guns, loaded by contestants muscle power, will be permitted. Gas guns, power heads,
shark darts, or spears powered by explosive means, or chemicals, will not by permitted.
7. All fish are subject to autopsy. No frozen fish will be accepted. Any attempt to defraud or cheat in the Rodeo,
in any way, will automatically disqualify the offender and all his/her fish.
8. Both male and female contestants will be eligible for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place cash award, but may win only
once in each of the six (6) cash categories. All contestants must enter their own fish.
9. No ties will be considered. An entry must exceed the weight of the previously entered fish.
Decisions by the WEIGHMASTER are final!
10. Winners must be present at the awards ceremony, or notify a Tournament official personally in advance if a representative is to
accept an award on their behalf.
11. All protests must be submitted in writing prior to the Awards ceremony.
Tournament officials will rule on these prior to the Awards. Decisions by the Tournament Officials will be final.
All participants are subject to a polygraph test. The Master Spearfisherman, Champion Spearfisher, all first place finishers, and
Jackpot winners maybe required to take a polygraph test. Failure to submit or pass a polygraph test within five (5) business days will subject the participant
to disqualification in current and future tournaments. Protester WILL pay for the polygraph test.
12. All fish must be weighed at either Gulf Coast Divers, Underwater Works or Down Under Dive Shop during working hours. Fish will remain the property of the contestant.
13. The Master Spearfisher award will be given to the diver that has the highest score. Fish do not have to place to be counted.
A Freediver Award will be given (minimum 2 contestants) and if we have 25 Freediver contestants, we will break them out into their own division.
A Queen Spearfisher Award (minimum 2 contestants). If we have 25 female contestants, we will break the females out into their own division.
14. A Team award will be given to the team accumulating the most points. Points are awarded as follows:
1st place = 5 points, 2nd place = 3 points, 3rd place = 1 point. Team points will be counted from the top three (3) places.
A team must consist of at least two divers and a maximum of six.
15. Fish Scoring: Ten (10) points per category and one (1) point per pound, up to fifty (50) points per category maximum. Lionfish will be scored as follows:
One (1) point per pound, up to fifty (50) pounds. Lionfish Cash Prize: 1st place $4,000.00, 2nd place $3,000.00, 3rd place $2,000.00 with a random drawing for $1,000.00.
Random drawing includes all participants that harvest at least 75 pounds of lionfish during a tournament. Excludes 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place Lionfish WINNERS.
Each LIONFISH WINNER must submit information in order to receive a W-9 Form at the Awards Ceremony prior to accepting a cash award as required by law.
16. A special AWARD will be presented to the top NOVICE competitor. A Novice is a diver certified 2 years or less.
17. Divers must state team affiliation on the registration form. No changes will be accepted after the safety meeting.
18. Applications received after the start date will be assessed a $10.00 late registration fee and must wait 5 days from the date of application to weigh a fish.
2019 Alabama State Spearfishing Champion
Diver must be registered in an Alabama
Spearfishing Association sanctioned tournament.
Six (6) fish per tournament placed in up to three (3) tournaments. (Red Neck Riviera, Alabama Open, Orange Beach Open)
Fifty (50) points maximum per fish.
Three hundred (300) points maximum allowed per tournament.
The Spearfisher that accumulates the most points
wins the 2019 Alabama Spearfisher Of The Year award and a cash
DIVE SAFE !
By your signed registration
and subsequent participation, you, on behalf of yourself, your
representatives and assigns, agree to assume all risks of injury or death arising from your activities in connection
therewith and to hold the Officials of the tournament, their agents, fully and completely harmless from any and all
claims, demands, actions, damages or otherwise in any way arising from your participation in the contest.